57 per cent India companies suffered downtime in 2020 due to data loss, ransomware remains a big threat: Acronis survey


Practically 57 per cent of Indian organisations suffered an sudden downtime in 2020 as a consequence of knowledge loss, reveals a survey by Acronis, a Singapore-based cyber safety agency. The survey additionally confirmed that this occurred regardless of almost 70 per cent of those firms operating as many as 10 options concurrently and the remaining 30 per cent run greater than 10 options.

Investing in additional options doesn’t essentially result in higher cyber safety, Kevin Reed, Chief Info Safety Officer, Acronis advised indianexpress.com over a name. Because the survey highlighted that whereas assaults proceed, the lack of knowledge amongst Info Know-how (IT) professionals is including to the cyber-security woes of firms.

“Everyone seems to be working from dwelling. And residential networks are much less protected than company networks. And company networks wanted to be extra open, as a result of everyone seems to be connecting from dwelling. Corporations needed to accommodate for this which uncovered them additional to vulnerabilities,” he added.

An earlier survey by Acronis had proven that whereas 31 per cent of firms world wide are attacked not less than as soon as a day, India had the distinctive distinction of seeing twice as many assaults per day as another nation.

In India as an illustration, 35 per cent of IT customers and 11 per cent of IT professionals wouldn’t know if their knowledge had been modified with out their information or tampered with. Globally the figures stood at 63 per cent and 16 per cent respectively, so India fared barely higher on this entrance.

Round 35 per cent professionals admitted to not updating their units till not less than per week after being notified of a patch, and even longer. With so many safety vulnerabilities being highlighted, the delay in updates may be problematic as Reed defined.

He gave the instance of the latest zero-day vulnerability, which was found in Microsoft Trade, which is utilized by firms internationally.

“The issue was that when Microsoft launched the patch, and it grew to become recognized how this assault could possibly be carried out, attackers discovered it simple to implement. After the vulnerability has been launched, it’s a race in opposition to time as a result of increasingly actors attempt to exploit it,” Reed defined. Till everybody updates all safety patches instantly, customers stay weak when threats are revealed.
In his view, firms should adapt new methods for safety as “the issues that labored up to now don’t work anymore”.

Reed additionally cautioned on the rise of ransomware, which has emerged because the primary risk for firms. “We all know that not all professionals are backing up knowledge correctly. Many should not conscious of what knowledge is vital and delicate. Or their knowledge practices are primarily based on what we name a compliance-based strategy, the place the corporate could possibly be completely compliant on paper. Nonetheless, it can’t deal with actual ransomware,” he mentioned.

In line with the survey, whereas 98 per cent of IT customers in India reported performing backups, with 40 per cent claiming to again up day by day – 90 per cent have irretrievably misplaced knowledge not less than as soon as. This implies that they don’t know again up or get well correctly.

In Reed’s view, one of the best safety from ransomware is to start out actually early and that may solely be achieved by having a correct infrastructure. A method is to make sure that all suspicious emails are locked utilizing skilled providers akin to those that Acronis additionally gives. One other is to coach workers to not open emails that are suspicious, which may be exhausting.

“However as soon as ransomware is dropped on the machine, they want options to cease ransomware from taking up. Even when this fails, firms want a again up. We suggest that not less than three quarters of information must be backed up on two totally different media, and one media must be fully offline. In reality, firms which did this had some knowledge which they may get well and transfer on from such assaults,” he defined.

In his view, knowledge safety that’s achieved on a number of ranges goes to be probably the most profitable technique for firms to guard themselves from ransomware. Acronis surveyed 4,400 IT customers and professionals from 22 nations for this report.

Add Comment